20.5.10

Leonard Mutinda (Q&A Personality Profile)

Leonard Mutinda, a third year Communication student, is a quiet guy. But beneath that cool demeanor lies a burning passion for poetry. He is a good writer, and his poetry is like magic. Join me in this interview where he tells us about what he does best.

PAULINE:So Leonard, tell us about your love affair with poetry.

LEONARD: (Smiling diffidently) My love affair with poetry started five years ago back in high school. By writing letters to 'chics', I discovered I could actually be poetic.

PAULINE:What are your goals as a poet?

LEONARD: My goals as a poet are basically simple: to communicate my feelings.

PAULINE:What are your achievements so far as a poet?

LEONARD: As a poet, I have been underground. I have not written much but I have managed to publish. Yeah, my works have been published by a local organization back home. That is my biggest achievement so far.

PAULINE: Who do you look up to in life?

LEONARD: ( Looking down sadly) My father. My father, although he is deceased now. He was a big inspiration to me, so everyday I try to emulate the things that he taught me.

PAULINE: And in poetry, who do you look up to?

LEONARD: Locally, I look up to Ngwatilo. She is a local writer. But internationally, I look up to the likes of Shakespeare, among others.

PAULINE: What challenges have you faced so far as a poet?

LEONARD: The most difficult thing as a poet is getting published. It is difficult.

PAULINE: I understand that you have a blog, tell us more about it.

LEONARD: ( Smiling) Yeah, it is anew thing. It is called Quest1186. I am hoping to get my works out there so that people can recognize me. But, I am afraid that people will plagiarize my work so I am cautious about it.

PAULINE: What are your future aspirations?

LEONARD: Basically, to write. Whether it is poetry or anything that has to do with writing....as long as I am writing, that's my passion.

PAULINE: What is your advice to aspiring poets?

LEONARD: In poetry, you have to be passionate. I mean, if you are not in it for the passion, you are in the wrong place!

PAULINE: Lastly, we are interested in knowing your relationship status.

LEONARD: ( Chuckling) I am....I am not engaged... but I am currently in a relationship.

PAULINE: What, is it a complicated relationship?

LEONARD: ( Smiles equivocally) No. I guess every relationship has its own complications but I would not term mine as overly complicated.

PAULINE: Any parting shot?

LEONARD: Live and let live!



You can visit Leonard's blog at http://quest1186.wordpress.com to enjoy his poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thots